I'm sitting at my desk right now with no idea what to blog about. It's pouring down snow outside and that's totally fine with me. I love snow, always have and I love cold weather. It's invigorating. I guess I moved to the right place.
Most of what I've been doing today has been lounging, but I did break out my acoustic and since it is Christmas time, I started strumming some Christmas songs. I've said before that one of my favorite things to do is play old hymns on my guitar, and some of my favorite hymns have been dubbed Christmas songs.
There's "Angels from the Realms of Glory," "Silent Night," "Good Christian Men, Rejoice," "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing," "What Child Is this," "O Come, All Ye Faithful," and of course, "O Holy Night."
The final song is my favorite. Not only is it a powerful and stirring song, but I also have many great memories of it. Every Christmas at church, my dad sings that song and he can really belt it out. Last year, though, was a really special version, and very impromptu at that. Dad was schedule to sing it on a Sunday morning when me, Uncle Loren and some of the guys generally play. Dad was going to sing it without music but we agreed that we could work up a quick version. Without rehearsing, we put together a very nice arrangement and Dad cruised right along through it. I've been playing guitar since I was 13 and it was without a doubt one of my favorite guitar-playing moments.
I guess it just goes to show that even though we aren't professionals, the best musicians or the best singers, when our heart is right in worship and use the talents God gave us, people will be touched and God will be glorified. I wish I could do that more often, but like I said a few weeks ago, it's time for me to expand my horizons as a Christian and develop some new talents and new skills. Step out of my comfort zone, I guess. I'm not entirely sure what that's going to be yet, but God has said to be patient.
As Psalm 27:14 says, "Wait on the LORD;Be of good courage, And He shall strengthen your heart; Wait, I say, on the LORD!"
Monday, December 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
This past Sunday, we worked up a mordernized version of O Come, O Come Emmanuel. It was fun. I wish I would have let you push me further in this area. Still, your legacy lives on.
Post a Comment